Monday, December 6, 2021

WRITER OR IMPOSTOR

 

Webster’s Dictionary describes a writer as one who writes; usually in a creative way, an author. One article states that a real writer is actually anyone who puts words to paper and sends them out into the world. Some say that anyone can become a writer with enough practice. Others say that the ability to weave the written word is an innate talent.
Writing is generally considered a right brain activity, but writers also use their left. From the right we draw our artistic talent, our muse, inspiration, and creativity; feelings, emotions, spirituality, imagery, and intuitiveness. From the left our ability to think, to be logical and analytical; the left side also gives to us our words.
I have written thousands of poems, many of them not worth the space on my computer, a few songs, and two novels, and yet I still have difficulty referring to myself as a writer, or a poetess, without feeling like an imposter.
Albert Einstein once said that “IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE.” For those of us who write fiction, we know that statement to be true, for without imagination it’s impossible to write fiction.
Fiction writers wield power; we become mini gods of sort, creating life from nothing more than our muse. We create people who become real to us and to others, ones we come to love or hate. We decide the fate of our characters, whether they live or die, what their lives will be like, happy or sad, and whether they will be hero or villain. Those who write fantasy create whole new worlds, ones foreign to both themselves and to us, and then inhabit them with persons and creatures that are created through nothing more than the writer’s imagination.
It’s been said that a writer is a paradox of EGO AND SELF-DOUBT; perhaps the ego is fueled by the power in the writer’s pen, for reasons just mentioned, or perhaps from the shear knowledge of knowing he or she has accomplished what relatively few people do, the write of a novel. It isn’t easy, it’s painstakingly hard work. It’s frustrating and time-consuming. The self-doubt part I know well. It has become my steady companion since beginning my first novel; which I began, by the way, with the purpose of seeing if I could. The ego part of me is swelled one moment and limps away injured in the next. After joining my first writer’s group, and receiving my first critique, the first chapter of my first book, I came home in tears and deleted that first chapter; the leader had ripped my writing to shreds, doing major damage to my self-esteem as a writer. After a time, I quit that group, but I didn’t quit writing.
A long time later, I joined a second writers’ group. I would love to be able to say that by this time I had developed the skin of an alligator; that I had become less thin-skinned, but unfortunately I can’t. We had one member, who to my regret is no longer part of the group, who I dubbed Simon Cowell. When critiquing my work, he would say things like, “Head-hopping” or “Point of view change!” I didn’t want to hear those nasty words; I didn’t want to accept what he had to say. You see, by this time I had written my second novel, and both books, each exceeding 85,000 words, were filled with head-hopping and point of view changes. I tried to argue the point with this man. I tried to defend my writing. I wanted to believe that the head-hopping and abrupt point of view changes in my stories were okay. I didn’t get it, folks. This man was right, and I was wrong! Well, to a point. Once I saw the light, I began work on my umpteenth rewrite - of both books. UGH! If we’re to benefit from a critique group, we have to be willing to hear what the other members have to say. We won’t improve as writers if through pride we become defensive or overly sensitive to the comments given. We should listen, decide whether or not to take the suggestions of the group, and continue to write. I’m not sure which is more difficult at times, giving a critique or receiving one.
Do you think you have what it takes to be a writer? Do you think you have the heart for it? Can you learn to deal with rejection? I’ve received enough rejection slips to paper a large wall, and not a single Literary Agent has gotten further than my query letter. If you think you have what it takes, or would like to give writing a try, then take up the pen. Don’t give up on yourself. Writing is hard work, but it’s also rewarding. Writing, as well as most artistic endeavors, is not for sissies.
My own novels may never get published, in the traditional way, but at least I proved to myself that I could write one, and for that I feel proud.



No comments: