Monday, December 6, 2021

A KID FOR A DAY


 This early morning in the south,

I awoke to the fallen snow,
Its whiteness covered barren trees
And glistened on the ground below.
The tall pine trees wore wedding gowns,
And dogwood trees gave off a glow,
And in my mind, a Northern home,
Which I had left so long ago.
Seldom is seen the winter snow,
While living down here in the south,
So, when I gazed upon the white,
I found I opened wide my mouth.
In bed asleep… my little elf,
I surely knew would jump for joy,
When she awoke and seen the snow,
And would recall her special toy.
A bright red sleigh that stood unused,
Awaited patiently the snow,
And she would rush for hat and gloves
And beg for grand to play, I know.
I peered upon the sparkling white,
A little girl came now in view,
And I saw me so long ago,
Playing until I had turned blue.
My little elf had now awoke,
And like predicted, jumped for joy,
She gazed upon the fallen snow,
And with eyes wide, she cried, “Oh boy!”
I layered her in mounds of clothes
While I dressed lightly like a fool,
We both ran out to play today,
She thought it hot… I thought it cool.
The big red sleigh was carried out,
And she, alone, slid down the hill,
But soon she wanted something more,
She wanted me to join the thrill.
I thought that I would slide alone,
But soon she climbed upon my lap,
And both together, down we went,
And ran into a tree, “Oh, Crap!”
A few more trips on down the hill,
Her face was red and I was cold,
We couldn’t yet go back inside,
A snowman, still, we had to mold.
We made him large with acorn eyes
And looked proud at the man so round
But grandma now had lost her touch,
For soon it toppled to the ground.
There still was one more thing to do,
And soon we lied down on our backs,
We spread our legs and arms so wide,
And left snow angels in our tracks.
Now, hot chocolate sounded good,
But my Heather still cried to play,
My feet were cold; I closed my ears,
Her pleading words, they held no sway.
This day was nice… a kid again,
But now the snow can go away,
It was a treat and I had fun,
But grandma’s grown too old to play.
*And ... now? FORGET IT!!!



No comments: